Monday, July 26, 2010

It's NOT Stand-Up Paddling (SUP)

Ever since the growing fad of SUP (Stand Up Paddling) has been gaining attention in the news and perhaps stimulating the economy with yet another water toy that will soon grow dust in people's garages, folks automatically seem to think THAT'S what I'm talking about when I say that I riverboard. I politely say, no, you lay down on it and run whitewater, like a kayak would. More like a bodyboard (or "boogieboard" if I can tell the person is 100% clueless). I don't know why people would associate the two. I have seen SUPs on the river, sweeping along, trying to catch standing waves on occasion, and sometimes even succeeding.

The first time I saw people doing this was in Half Moon Bay, CA. I honestly thought it was some kind of joke. But no, it's only gained in popularity. I suppose it can be good exercise. It seems it would best be given to flat water, but they have shown up at surf breaks. Well now I suppose the longboarders are getting a dose of their own medicine. These guys can sit outside even FURTHER than you and catch all the set waves.

At least there is finally a new sport that is even more annoying than bodyboarding. Surfers now have someone new to focus their hatred upon! That is if they haven't already converted.

But just to be clear: Stand Up Paddling is NOT riverboarding. You may take a Stand Up Paddle board on the river, but you are not riverboarding, you are still Stand Up Paddling. And please if you do, wear a helmet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home